Puppy Wish List
By Michele Forto
Recently I interviewed a client who is picking up their new puppy in two weeks. She contacted me prior to picking up their puppy to have a training plan in place. I cannot emphasize the importance of this decision. I have been posting a series called the Four Critical Periods. In this series it explains the importance of developing, maintaining, and sticking with a structured training plan for your puppy.
I have decided to share portions of her wish list; I receive lists like this regularly and decided it is worthy of sharing. This way if you’re in the market to get a new puppy or even rescue a young dog, you can relate to this wish list.
1. He needs to be potty trained.
2. I want a dog I can take anywhere. He needs to get along with other dogs and people.
3. I want a dog who can walk on a loose leash.
4. I want a dog who isn’t always trying to run away.
5. I want to be able to call him to us from far away.
6. The commands I am interested in are sit, down, stay, come, nice
- Take the treat without biting my hand off.
Tomorrow: A Trainer’s Perspective for the Puppy Wish List